View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Simulated Break In Period

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
I have to concur. When I first started with this hobby I tried to follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedures with my first engine.

Not anymore. They get rode hard and put away wet, right out of the box. And you know what? All of my later engines have performed much better than the first one that got treated softly. Never had an engine/bearing/piston/ etc. failure of any kind.

Ever see a woodsman baby his new chainsaw? Ever see a yardman running his new weedwhacker at 1/2 throttle? Bet ya ain't.

I understand you break in with Opti2, right now I am breaking in my second motor with Opti2. I am not babying my motor and varying the throttle a lot.

My question for you Tom is:
My engine only gets about 45km/h (~28mp/h) and is a bit sluggish and takes a while to accelerate to 45km/h.
(sorta wonder if clutch could be adjusted? maybe not? Difference between wrist pin bushing (new motor) and bearing?)

I am 1/3 tank burned so far, how long using Opti2 can I expect ~60km/h (~37mp/h)?

My memory using regular 2 stroke oil is fuzzy, but I do remember an increase in performance, but unlike now, I did not have a speedometer so I cannot judge by how much.
I love my Motor Bicycle, I love Beer, I'll try not to like them both at once.