View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Default Re: Summer Job Build Thread

Originally Posted by bigbutterbean View Post
My last bike was a Cranbrook, and the only problem I had with it was the front tube being wider than the front engine mount, which I mounted the engine to a seatpost and the seatpost was clamped to the frame. Later on I got a different engine with a wider front mount and didn't need the seatpost anymore. I am not sure why you had an issue with the engine sitting in the frame properly. I did have some trouble with the chain rubbing the fat tires that came on the bike, solved it by switching to a skinnier tire. If I were selling a bike, I'd want to find a way to get the engine seated properly in the frame. Extending the rear studs may work ok for now, but its asking for trouble later. I would look at other for sale builds very closely to see what you could be doing better.
I could not let the engine sit in the frame because at the point it would have sat at, the bike's sprocket was in the way. On the next build I am having some blocks of aluminum machined that will fill the gap between the seat post and the engine. That should help make it stronger.
Originally Posted by Xseler View Post
Why force feed it champagne when it's perfectly happy with beer?