View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

My Shinko 2.75-21 rear tire arrived today. Funny, it measured 3" wide @ the outside "cleats". These cleats are @ the edge and sidewall of the tire, for offroading. Since I won't be doing that, I decided to "amputate" them.....all 184 of them. Eliminating them would narrow the tire from 3.00" to 2.5625" (2" and 9/16"). Thus, clearances would widen dramatically. One chainstay had MINUS .0625". Modifying the tire gives it approximately .+20" clearance. Other side seat stay will increase from .0625" to .2625".

Took me 1.5 hours to remove most of the rubber off of 184 rubber cleats. Actually it came off WAY too easy, which means that ALL of the tire's cleats are kinda soft. I hope the tire lasts me awhile before any cleats start ripping off.

It felt odd removing rubber off a brand new tire, much like how some track racers machine off part of the tread of a brand new racing tire. Sadly, this is the only way a 26" motorcycle tire will fit into my cruiser without "massaging" the dropout. There IS no smaller-size 26" tire I could find. My 3" X 21" Dunlop tire will fit perfectly in the motorcycle fork I'm gonna use on this bike.