View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: machine new cylinder?

for all the replies telling me to just buy a new cylinder. this reply from someone else on another forum sums it up perfect for me.

[Quote]Now, before anyone makes any remarks about why I'm going through this trouble when I could buy a new 6 horse engine for 100 bucks... there are two reasons why that is out of the question.

1) Money: This is strictly for fun. I don't want to spend any money on a project that is just for fun and I can't justify spending even 100 bucks on an engine. Thats alot of money for me at this stage of life. Someday when I am a millionaire I can buy lots of engines, but not yet.

2) Coolness Factor: Anyone who shows some mechanical ability can buy the parts to make a go-kart. It is much cooler when the go-kart is made entirely of junk parts. Its not that there is anymore skill involved in doing it "the hard way" vs going out and buying all of the materials you need for a project. It's just that I take on these projects as a creative outlet. I couldn't write, draw or compose music to save my life but I still like to have a "creative outlet" and metalwork is my way of doing so. It takes more creativity to take junk parts and turn them into something useful than it does to buy it new. Buying it new would take all of the fun out of this project. [Quote]

ok, back to business

steel sleeved cylinders are common. running a steel sleeve, aluminum piston, and cast iron ring works well together. chromed rings work even better and if i run across a set cheap enough i might go that route. i think i remember seeing chromed 47mm rings for some foreign scooter pretty cheap.

the intake, exhaust, and transfer ports wont be an issue. i will take pics of the part being machined as i get time to do it. i am going to rough drill two small holes in the sleeve for the transfer ports. after the sleeve is pressed in i will open these up with a pencil grinder(still not sure bout this one yet) to match the ports in the block. doing it this way eliminates any problems with sleeve alignment. the way the cylinder is located on the part fixture will allow me to machine out the intake and exhaust ports

i will put up progress pics morrow night if that silly work thing doesnt keep me too busy.