View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: HELLO from OREGON

Originally Posted by mabman View Post
If your motor is over 35cc's here in OR you won't have much of a case I am afraid. Although the Federal Regs allow for 50cc and under each state is allowed to set their own regs and OR has set theirs at the lower limit. At this time a 35cc Honda/RS/clone friction drive is probably your best and cheapest bet to ride under the radar here. Good luck in getting it resolved!
According to ORS 801.345, a moped:

1. Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels;
2. Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
3. Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
4. Is equipped with an independent power source that is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source; and

** 5. Is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does NOT require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged.**

I got a DWS for riding a "moped" but under section 5 it clearly states it is only a moped if....
mine has a clutch!
am I wrong about this? I would really appreciate any ones interpretation. with this it might make my bike an actual Motorcycle now, according to the ORS. which wont help me win but get us closer to a clear definition of the laws here.