Working on the new cruiser (Build Thread
), not my beast or Harley59's ride.
Bolted the exhaust back on yesterday, the JB Weld was still a little soft (could mark it with a thumbnail), so I moved on to torquing the head down and left it for today to try starting up. I did have a blown head gasket, both front and back actually, so I had to clean it up and replace the gasket.
It started, after some fiddling and adjusting the clutch a little as the engine was almost engaged when the lever was pulled in. It starts and runs, but it still has a bad habit of running on or dieseling, the kill switch doesn't always do it, I often have to choke the motor to shut down. It will even run with no wires connected, so that's not good. I'm going to go over the electrical again (once I've grabbed the numbers I'm looking for from here for the multimeter). It was all checked out several times during assembly and checked out fine then, but something doesn't seem right.
Also put the headlight back together and got it working again. The JB there should hold the bulb holder in place. It's back on the bike now, but I'm still not sure whether I will leave it as chrome, or clean it down and do a paintjob on it like I did for the tank.