View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Normal Pedal Riding with clutch disengaged

I see this is an old thread- but to Crusin 59, and Ye Who wants The Best Pedal:

Some of you may be tired of me talking about it-

The easiest solution- biggest gain per dollar-

The Worksman 415 Industrial/Trike Chain !!!

search ebay and Amazon- I got another one a few months ago for about $12 delivered

Same 415 width- plates not as big or tall-

You can really both feel and hear the difference pedalling-
The smaller plates let it roll much easier,
and if you're not some kind of off-road thrasher- you KNOW the motor's feeling less strain too.
And at barely ONE HALF the weight of a standard kit chain- I CAN'T run anything else now. And I've run two of them for a couple of years without any issue.

The other thing for PEDAL-
I have gone to single freewheels on both builds the past couple of years now-
22 teeth rear single freewheels fairly lightweight- and the smaller you go on the pedal chain- the more weight you save on the sprocket size and THE LINKS YOU CAN REMOVE
I think my chainwheels- I use just the inner ones from vintage alloy 3 piece cranks, on one piece conversion bottom brackets- are 40 and 42- they both roll and pedal nicely with 27 x 1 1/14 wheels on one and 700 by 32 on the other

Take it from an old racer- if you're worried about pedalbility, and still pushing that OE 46 or larger front pedal sprocket and all that chain for it- you're wasting yourself-

You barely feel the kit weight (lose the tensioner!) with the 415 Trike chain- SMALL tank helps too, TITANIUM cover bolts, and clean allen keys

But you can't expect SPEED peddaling- probably don't want to drop the family anyway!
I can pedal in the parking lot, or the park, or turning around to look at the garbage,

and it's EASY- but don't worry about speed- just get the right chain, the right Granny gearing, and as much weight off the bike as you can

AND the narrowest tires you feel comfortable with- my own belif is that anyting much under 1 1/4 for the back and 1 1/8 for the front is starting to ask for a lot of pothole trouble- but I'd recommend anbout 28 to 32 mm to most people, maybe 35mm-

over about 32- depending on 700 c tire and verticle profile- you MUST then use a 25mm 1 inch wide rim too- adding weight.

I also believe the pedalling resistence decreases slightly as a motor wears in.

good luck

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 04-20-2013 at 07:27 AM.