View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Simulated Break In Period

Originally Posted by 577-Jersey View Post
Proper break in is horse hockey!!!I raced,and worked on 2 stroke bikes my whole life,,for over 35 years,,always taught to break em in like your gonna ride em,,as long as the motor is warmed up you can bring it up to WOT a few times when new,,never hurt it,,even a fully broke in motor could blow if ran WOT for a long period of time,,these are two strokes,high reving motors,,you cant hold em WOT for to long,,but as for break in make sure its warm then just ride it,,keep checking the motor and make sure its running smooth and not too hot,,after a couple tanks I would lean up on the mix.
If break in was so dang important we would have to do it with ALL our 2 cycle motors including chainsaws,weed eaters,blowers,ect....I run mine hard right from the warm up,,never had an issue in 35+years.

Peace out!

I have to concur. When I first started with this hobby I tried to follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedures with my first engine.

Not anymore. They get rode hard and put away wet, right out of the box. And you know what? All of my later engines have performed much better than the first one that got treated softly. Never had an engine/bearing/piston/ etc. failure of any kind.

Ever see a woodsman baby his new chainsaw? Ever see a yardman running his new weedwhacker at 1/2 throttle? Bet ya ain't.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"