View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Time to give up?

Originally Posted by ocho ninja View Post
Its okay, well not sure how much you can get out of it now...
If your trying to get rid of it just let me know or post it up on the swap and shop here, someone will buy it.v
If I do decide to get ride of it, I'll probably put it up on CL to avoid shipping hassle and whatnot

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
I'd really like to see how the front of the engine was mounted. You weren't using rubber in the mounts, were you?. That frame failure would be consistant with the front mount not being solid enough to keep the engine from vibrating. That is a stress failure caused by something being much too loose and allowed to vibrate against the frame.

My guess would be that the front mount fastener failure contributed to the damage I see to the seat tube. How long did you ride the bike with the broken mount?

Failure of the kit supplied spark plug boot is very common. It should be replaced with an automotive quality part during the initial installation of the engine.

Fuel leaks are easy to diagnose and repair. Really not a big issue but they can be aggravating, no doubt. Sounds like you took care of that.

Your frame could be repaired. It will take a welder with experience in welding thin material. I'd suggest cutting the tube and doubling it with a stub on the inside to add strength. Easier said than done however. A doubler welded to the outside of the tube would work but that will increase the size requiring some modification to the engine case/mount. Too bad you can't hook up with Ocho Ninja. He'd be able to help, I'm sure.

Nope no rubber mounts (I remember seeing you post about those saying we should just deal with vibrations) I was using a U bolt and this metal rectangle with holes for the mount studs/U-bolt. I rode it for only a day without the front mount... I guess before it was broken it wasn't as secure as it should've been?

Unfortunately, there aren't any weld shops around me (there WAS a machine shop, but they closed down a couple years ago). I'd have to travel with a car somewhere far... the 'rents would not be willing to do that. Of course money is another issue to pay the welder anyway

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just humor me MysterySandwich. If a student struggled this incredibly hard and came to you with their eyes just glazed over and (understandably) wanting to throw in the towel, what would you tell them?

If you walk away while it is still a failed project, it will always be in the loss column. In a Bronx, NY accent, gotta be "****Me, na, no. ****you"

As was said above, take a break then hit it again and hard. You can do this. I have faith in you and know you can do it!

Once she is up, running and purring like the finely oiled machine you intended, beat that **** thing to death with a bat until it is out of your system.

That way it will be "win/win" it lost and you won.

You can do this. Don't give up the ship until your socks are wet and your boots are full of water.

This makes me want to continue, but money is an issue. I only have somewhat $250 in my savings, and no job since last month (and I'm not exactly eager on spending it all). I feel if I bought a new engine kit and a generic cruiser I'd be able to do it quickly... but i really don't know at this point. =/
The best part about asking questions, is that you add to the pool of information that future builders can look back on through the search function