View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: Time to give up?

Best thing I can recommend is that, should you have a change of heart later on and want to try again, search through some of the threads and posts in this forum pertaining to upgrades, installation tips, similar stuff.
Speaking of Craigslist, often you can find some real classics on there. Sturdy steel framed cruisers that can generally take more punishment than some of the cheaper models of bikes we commonly see. Heck, my old JC Higgins was being pitched because (at the time) it looked too awful for anybody to buy it from the seller's garage sale. I think she cleaned up nice, and she is super solid.
I've learned a few things in the meanwhile too. Like: the chain guide/tensioner has to be VERY securely mounted; it's often good to replace the motor mount bolts early on with something stronger, as well as the head bolts; it's important to make the mounting seats of the engine case as flush against the frame as humanly possible; and lots more that I can't think of right off hand.
Some people might discover they'd be much happier with some other hobby. This forum has all the crazy ones who stuck it out, and learned a few things along the way. And we posted what we know for other MBers to read and learn for free. And there are some real experts here too. If you decide to keep your bike after all, I'm sure there are a lot of us who will help however we can.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 03-17-2013 at 03:43 PM.