View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Noob Army tech, I've been bit by the MB bug

Originally Posted by Kapelusprime View Post
Like the title says I'm a SSG in the Army and my MOS is mechanic. I got a Micargi Rover NX3 for Fathers day last year. Now I've run into these cool machines and I've been bit by the bug. From what I've read already I see I need to ditch the front and back rims and get some high strength rims and a standard Shimano CB 110 or 110E so as to use the MM adapter. I don't want a race bike but dig the rat rod look and the red rim and white walls hooked me to these bikes. If any of you guys have built one of these frames. Please let me know what forks I can use and what rim and tires you used. I like the quality on the jakebikes site for motor kits but am open to suggestions for all things when it comes to mount and chain clearance ect. Again I'm a noob and here in Buffalo NY, down the road from Tonawanda GM powertrain and Ford stamping we have a large hotrod scene here. My brother is a boilermaker and owns a tube bender and one **** of a welding kit. We both are looking forward to your input We dig lowrider bike, but this is a new barrel of monkeys.
Hi Kapelusprime, welcome to the forum from Dallas. I built a Rover a couple years ago for a friend. She still has it and like it very much. I did a tune up on for her last summer, and her stock wheels are getting pretty warpped alright, the rear is anyway.

I've found on all my bikes that replacing the wheels with good quality ones is about the best thing you can do for dependability. You can buy ready made wheels sometimes for good prices, but I've been getting them made for me at bike shops. REI has been good to me. You'll want a strong double wall rim. Sun, Rhyno lite rims are good low cost double rims. 12g spokes would be better with double wall, but most bike shops only want to use 14g. When the rim is strong enough 14g will last pretty good. Don't get wider than 30mm or you'll run into clearance problems with the tire. Mine are 27.5 mm. A 2.25 tire is about the biggest you can run. The CB110 coaster hub is a good one and they don't cost much. About $30. Expect to pay about 200-250 for a ready made double wall rim, coaster break wheel with 12g or 14g spokes. The Pirate hub adapter is a good one.

I bought a Sturmey Archer XL-FD drum brake, and had it laced to the rim I bought. They also have brake hubs with generators built in to.

I'm liking Flying Horse 80 motors best lately. You can find them at BikeBerry.

Here's a video of the Rover I made.

Last edited by biknut; 03-06-2013 at 10:58 PM.