View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: TX biker, Looking For info.

Originally Posted by Master-shake View Post
Hey guys,

I have a brand new one of these onyx 29" bikes

I want to put an engine on it but I'm not interested in any friction drives. I'm looking to find out what kind of engine options I have and any foreseeable difficulties that member may see with my frame choice. I have two other bikes available to me to put a motor on.
Hi Master-shake, welcome to the forum from Dallas.

I can help you with that bike, I built one for a friend of mine. As far as $150 bikes go, it's probably one of the best to use. It has a very strong frame, and the wheels are stronger than avarage for a low end bike. You can use a Pirate Cycle adapter

Normall I recommend Flying Horse motors, but because all the tubes are so big on an Oynx you might be better off getting a Power King motor from Pirate. The motor has the big front mount, and the rear mount is the right size for the seat post tube.

You'll need different handle bars. The stock ones are 1" and won't fit the throttle handle. The stock gas tank is challenging to mount. It possible you should try to find a different one.

The bike turned out great, but personally I didn't like it very much. It's just that it's so big. Everything on it is big, and tall. If you're 6'2" you'll probably like it a lot. Here's a pic.