View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Twin Engine Rack Mount

I see trouble with that concept. Linking the two engines by their crankshafts isn't the best way to go. They should each have their own seperate drive to the driven sprocket/pully.

No matter how hard you try, getting the two engines synchronized precisely is going to be difficult. Linking them by their cranks can produce an imbalance that can give you all kinds of problems. Vibration will be just one. Premature wear/failure of the connecting components will be another issue you'll face.

I'm not optimistic about your idea but I don't want to be a wet blanket either. I'd just hate to see you invest a lot of time and work on something that has questionable results and the potential for failure.

I've seen two engine joined by their cranks but the builder went to extreme measures to get crankshaft rotation/piston position correct to eliminate the possibility of one engine firing when the other was approaching a power stroke. You would need to calculate the power strokes of each engine and join them at 180 degrees apart and that will require your link to be a 1:1 ratio. Lots of tricky stuff going on that I'm not sure you're aware of. It's just not as simple as connecting the engines by a chain and sprockets.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"