View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Genisisonyx29 Genisisonyx29 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Merced California
Posts: 207
Default Re: What got you into all this trouble?

Originally Posted by VIKTR View Post
In California you're supposed to have a drivers license with an M endorsement to operate a motorized bicycle.

Just a friendly heads up to help keep you out of more trouble.
sorry but wherever you found that information its wrong. i'll go ahead and lace you up on the real deal california law on these motorized bicycles. What is a moped or motorized bicycle?

There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:
Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
Reply With Quote