Thread: Which kit?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Which kit?

Originally Posted by Mozenrath View Post
I know what you mean. When I first wanted to buy a kit, I asked some people on another form, and someone tried to discourage me by saying that the "motor will last maybe a week before siezing and the rattling will make the motor fall right off on your first ride". Even after experiencing the faults of the chinese mounting hardware, I think this guy either got a crappy engine or had no idea what he was doing. I abused the **** out of my first motor and it never came close to siezing or smoking. Since then I've pretty much learned that it's best to do your own quality control before installing a motor and replace all the mounting hardware. That seems to be key to not having problems directly caused by the motor.

I don't think people should buy kits just because you can buy better versions of nearly every perhipheral part and it would save money in the long-run.

This reminds me of another forum member here who built his nephew(I think) a real bada$$ motorized bicycle, and his newphew pretty much just poored gas in the tank with no oil and blew it up immediately. It was pretty sad. Damn kids should listen to their elders.
Yeah, that's the problem these days, people are VERY irresponsible our society is heading down the wrong path. I'm on the same page you are I ride in almost every condition, snow, rain, hot cold. They LAST I run mine a little rich....20:1 but I might drop off on the oil a bit and run 24:1. These bike kits are fun! I enjoy riding them upgrading them, and fixing them! My beach cruiser I have got has improved much since I last posted pictures and I'm going to paint over the areas that got scratched by that dumb stock tensioner.