View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Had my little putter for a year now...

@2door: Sorry I worded that incorrectly, during use there was no problem using the clutch to disengage the engine from the back wheel as long as I had the bikes manual chain at the highest gear. The problem was that engaging the engine with the manual chain in the lowest gear resulted in the bike not producing enough torque to assist in turning the back wheel and the bike would stall. Shifting the manual gear up fixed this problem, but it also caused the wheel to lock up if the bike was turned off in this mode. Which resulted in the need to shift the bike down again when turning it off for parking. I'm assuming there is some thing we did wrong that caused this but I'm not sure what it is. The next motor is going on a one speed so I can avoid this issue entirely.

On a different note entirely I think she's hosed. I dissembled the Piston housing and found that the piston bar had nicks, along with the wheels that drive the piston. There were also small metal shavings in the piston housing. To top it ll off when I opened the Coil housing I found this...

Apparently my best efforts to keep her dry did no good in this moist environment... Next time WD40 is going to be part of regular maintenance.