View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: WOW ! I thought I was on my own...

This is a picture of my Hercules tricycle I took not long after I first put it together. I'm busy with overhauling and rebuilding it at the moment as it sat unloved and got rusty while I was not very well over the past few months. Don't worry it shall look lovely again, I like it too much to let it rust away.

Range is a problem with my tricycle, but it mainly gets used for local journeys so i can generally work around battery charge times and the trips out that I have to make. It's a workhouse though and has been used to haul sacks of compost and potting mix, fence posts, bicycle frames and spares away from the council recycling depot & etc etc......
The hub motor is 24volt 250watt and has been totally reliable. Some folk might say that my tricycle is underpowered, but I built it that way so I have to help out with pedaling which keeps my doctor happy because I'm supposed to get regular exercise. The pedal powered rear wheel has a two speed Duomatic hub with coaster brake, but I would like to change it for a 3 speed Sturmery Archer coaster hub during this present overhaul.
I want to experiment with fitting up an IC engine on my tricycle, but I hadn't considered the possibility of running a generator to charge the batteries. Something to think about I suppose.

Ha ha, I think I'd be arrested on the spot for trying to steal national treasures if I tried to take one of Burt's old pistons. I still enjoy watching the movie on DVD even though I've seen it dozens of times.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy chocolate which is almost the same thing
Home of the Kotanga Tramway.