View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: FD Roller, Material?, Method?

Originally Posted by cannonball2 View Post
I guess thats a question only you can answer. What needs improving? What issues are you having? ...
There are several issues, or things needing improvement. And I could work on them, but now I'm disenchanted in the basic design of my motor-mounting arrangement. So, I'm considering starting over.

I chose the arrangement of having the roller & motor on a frame together because it would move as one unit, and thus the motor-to-roller-shaft belt wouldn't need to grow or shrink as the roller changed position. I also though the weight of the motor (tending to engage the clutch) would be advantageous.
I now can envision better arrangements because my experience with this arrangement has given me a better idea of what's needed.

Ideally, I'd have the motor in a fixed (but spring-shock-suspended with the rider) position and have an easy to control clutch that positively engages & positively disengages.

Anyway, regarding the current build, I made 2 oak wood rollers and I'll mount them on their shaft tonight.

It would have been nice to use a lathe, but I used a circle cutter because it was cheap.

I used 3/4" (actual) (2cm) thick oak board to make 3.25" (8cm) diameter disks. I'll sandwich them around the pin going through the shaft to fix them.

There sure are a lot of different kinds of circle cutters.

Last edited by Nehmo; 01-18-2013 at 09:00 PM.