View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: reliability is a must!

Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
Unless you are mechanically inclined and familiar with small engines, do not take the engine apart.
If his main bearings fail, he may need to do that. You can't encourage people to begin to work with these engines without being a hand's on type of person. They fail often and unless you become intimately keen on these things and know these engines inside and out you are doomed to be standing there looking at a non-working bike.

RTV is not fuel resistant. Do not use it on or in the intake manifold. Use SealAll or Hylomar instead.
Many users of the forum have successfully used black RTV to seal the joint between the intake and carb. It is fuel resistant, which does not mean it is impermeable but it will last a long time in that it is not in direct contact with fuel. I would not use it on a gas tank.

There is no reason to seal the top cap of the carburetor slide or where the throttle cable enters the adjuster in the top cap.
Yes, unfortunately there is. If you keep your bike outside, water can infiltrate the carb.

Teflon tape can be used to create an interference fit between the threads of the top cap and the threads of carburetor body which will help prevent it from vibrating loose, although I never have had this problem when I tighten the top cap properly.
You can also overtighten and crack the top cap trying to tighten it properly so it won't back off, which is why to use teflon tape. Of course a small dab of black RTV on the threads will also work.

Do not under any circumstances what-so-ever use any sort of sealer or Loctite product on the factory side cover screws. They are made of a very poor quality metal and the heads usually strip out when you try to remove them for the first time. Also if you were to seal or loctite them they can easily snap off inside the case when you remove them creating a real nightmare problem.
That's the entire purpose of using a sealer on the threads. I have had vibration loosen several case screws because they were not installed with enough torque from the factory. Is someone to say "I can't remove those screws because I am afraid I will strip the heads?". No of course not. The solution is to use the correct size phillips screwdriver in the first place applying enough force to not strip the head. This is also why I choose to use black RTV instead of loctite. It will prevent loosening but it will not seize the screw so tight that you break the bolt when removing. I have inspected all my fasteners after rides and using this type of sealer is foolproof. None of my hardware comes loose at all. Trouble free and dependable. The last thing you want to hear is going on a ride and you hear nuts and bolts hitting the pavement and wondering what it was.