View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Default Re: A Warning to those looking in getting a Chinese engine kit

Originally Posted by Motormac View Post
Jim is right, all of us here would be more than happy to help you out with advice to get you up and running, all you need to do is ask and have a positive approch to this, look at it as a learning experience.
If you have the time and want to get started I would recommend you take everything off your bike and start over,including the gas tank and sprocket , We can start by replacing your engine mount studs.
Others here agree?
Agreed, and as you also pointed out in the "Weeee!!! Snap! Awwww!!!!
" post, all of the fasteners should be replaced with grade 8's and locktite prior to installing the engine. It is dirt cheap insurance!

Guys please don't lead others astray with do not want to use 303 or 304SS material for this application. This is typically what's available. 400 series, heat treated, would work. They are expensve, hard to find, and totally unnecessary.

I realize many of you are using stainless and you haven't had a failure yet! But a word to the wise, keep a check on your motor mounts. Stainless shares the same mystic as titanium...most peple think that Titanium is lighter than aluminum, and stronger than steel. In fact Titanium sits nearly perfect in the middle of the road. It's lighter than steel, heavier than Aluminum. Stronger than Aluminum, but not as strong as steel.

I had thought of putting together a complete fastener kit for resale just before SBP announced they were working on it. I will of course stay out of this one as they are already on it, and have time invested.

You get a lot for the money with these kits...but with just a little more you can really make it viable.