View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Originally Posted by Jumpa View Post
That's AWESOME man I love the old stuff like this that stood the test of time if this was made in the 40's 50's or even the 60's you can expect many more good years of life back then they really made stuff to last not like now days where they intentionally make stuff that will break in several months of use so you will buy a new one, What they fail to realize that it this exact way of thinking that will put them out of business because people like me wont go bu another one from them I will spend more on a different one!

Example years ago I went to a job this lil old lady had an old Grundfos well pump "in her basement , her primary source for water in her house " the pumps bearing were kind of loud ..expected in a 60 year old pump she wanted a brand new pump i took her old one apart and saw it had a beautiful bronze impeller and diffuser not in use any more because "they all lasted way to long" they are all plastic now and if a new pump runs dry for 5 minutes it a melted mess.

So I convinced her to let me replace the bearings in her old pump after we fired it up it was a quiet as it was when her husband put it in 60 years prior I showed her the 60 year old beautiful bronze impeller compared to the brand new plastic junk one she wanted to buy and she was so grateful I didn't take advantage of her and only charged her $125.00 for parts, materials, and labor

I gave her a break on the 4 hour labor bill also." I even repainted it" I just could t remove that old pump and put in a crappy new one then charge her the $650 bucks it would have cost her in good conscience. & that pumps still running today!!
And thats probably why neither one of us are rich. I do stuff like that all the time. Everyone says I give people too big of a break on things. I figured it would all come back to me, you know, Karma or something. I'm still kinda waiting.