View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Default Re: New China bike just built! 700c Thruster walmart

Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
Just don't hit that coaster too hard in the middle of a turn, You'll wind up on yer keester. Cause they do lock up at times.
You're VERY, VERY right about running a secondary brake though. Relying on a coaster brake alone at 30mph is crazy. (I'm jealous of yer rear wheel, I want one.) We'll, A little at a time as I can afford it.
Tomorrow I gotta go get my bike from where I wrecked it. I think someone loosened my goosneck overnight. Pedaled it once, the handlebars went one way and the front wheel went the other way. And then I went another way still. When it hit, (HARD,) Is when the neck cracked. So I put it in my girlfriends bathroom and got a ride home. But it's OK, I got another neck in the shop and vicodine in the med. cabinet. But Dern, I'm out of whisky.
I never brake in the middle of a turn unless I'm perilously close to ending up left of center. I usually brake before making a turn. As far as the jealousy (and dont worry, I didnt take it in a negative way), I know how you feel. I started with a stock huffy cranbrook and a stock motor kit with no accessories and no customization (my second bike - first one was a kmart special, but pretty much the same, completely stock). It's taken me 2 years to gather all the parts I wanted for this bike, most of them scavenged from abandoned/thrown away bikes. So buy what you can afford, and use what you can find. Keep your eye out around your neighborhood and wherever you travel. That's mostly what I did. It may take awhile, but eventually you will have all the parts you want. I have been into this hobby for a little over 3 years now, and I finally have a bike that's built and customized the way I like.