View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New China bike just built! 700c Thruster walmart

Originally Posted by bigbutterbean View Post
I run a rear coaster and a front drum. I have a heavy duty rear wheel though. Its double walled steel, 12g spokes, and a Shimano clone coaster hub. I service it regularly, and this rim is almost 3 years old. I purchased it around Christmas of 2009. I don't advocate a coaster brake by itself, simply because they dont stop you quickly enough in the event of an emergency. But with a decent front brake, there is nothing wrong with running a coaster.
Just don't hit that coaster too hard in the middle of a turn, You'll wind up on yer keester. Cause they do lock up at times.
You're VERY, VERY right about running a secondary brake though. Relying on a coaster brake alone at 30mph is crazy. (I'm jealous of yer rear wheel, I want one.) We'll, A little at a time as I can afford it.
Tomorrow I gotta go get my bike from where I wrecked it. I think someone loosened my goosneck overnight. Pedaled it once, the handlebars went one way and the front wheel went the other way. And then I went another way still. When it hit, (HARD,) Is when the neck cracked. So I put it in my girlfriends bathroom and got a ride home. But it's OK, I got another neck in the shop and vicodine in the med. cabinet. But Dern, I'm out of whisky.