View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Canada My situation; legal questions about Ontario

Originally Posted by elemein View Post
I really am thinking this will be my DD for college. As long as power is good enough for around-town and range will last me a day...
Originally Posted by elemein View Post
Either way, I think I'd need high range. Probably in the 100 mile range. That is very high though... I'll figure it out I suppose.
You're planning on riding a hundred miles a day with just "around town use" as a "college daily driver"? Are you sure? Have you checked/estimated your actual, average daily mileage?

I could be mistaken, you may have a 50 mile one way commute for all I know lol - but I'm hoping that's a high estimate as honestly, a hundred miles is a bear even on a gasbike. While doable w/o doubt, I've frequently racked up that kinda mileage in a day on my weekend wanderabouts but I gotta tell ya it can leave you whipped - the bike may not care, but you just might, 5-700 miles a week on any bicycle is gonna take a toll on bike, body & soul no matter it's motive method.

If it turns out you've more like sixty miles a day or less electrics can still be economically viable though, with a bit of planning. For example I've about a thirty mile range with my 48v 1000w hub & just the $550 48V 15AH LiFePO4 Battery Pack - so if it's thirty miles or less to the destination, you can simply plug in & charge while you're at class/work/whatever (I'd opt for the 5A Charger over the included 2A)... with the 48V 20AH LiFePO4 Battery Pack you'd have a "buffer zone" of another 10-15 miles or so... BTW, these mileage estimates are rough, based on worst case "no pedaling", stop n'go & somewhat hilly terrain, obviously any conservation efforts would help extend that range... like pedaling from time to time to help take-offs & hills

I'm not saying that an electric would be the "best" choice for you... but it does seem your options are somewhat limited & I just wanted to provide some food for thought

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 10-23-2012 at 04:03 AM.