View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: been working on this thing for 3 weeks bout to give up chain and sprocket issue

Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post

I do hope you get your clutch situation figured out....

Assuming you do or will shortly, two things concern me about your setup :

1) The chain tensioner will probably live a VERY short life....IF you manage to get the engine running....PLUS if the chain tensioner fails you have an IMMENSE amount of extra chain and that can be dangerous if it causes things to jamb up at speed (this will lock up the rear wheel and cause a skid at best OR worse things can happen.....Accident etc...

The reason I say the tensioner WILL fail is because the TOP of the chain is under tension when moving forward under engine power....the plastic will NOT live very long under those conditions....Also depending on engine load, the stress ob the little bolt will be high and may lead to its failure as well.

I don't mean to sound so negative about the above but it is a REAL safety issue.

2) The engine may have difficulty getting fuel....there is no fuel pump so the level of the gas tank has to be above the carb (it is a gravity fed set up)...Hard to tell from the pics tho.

Good Luck BUT I would seriously think about item #1 Above.

Hope this helps you.

PS - I also noted in your pics that the chain looks as though it rubs against the the lower bolt hole area of where the engine sprocket cover goes.....While I admire your attempt to get it running (I like projects that think "out of the box"), I think a more conventional setup would beneficial.

I considered about the fuel line & was thinking about the fuel pump. but your right the chain DOES rub against the bolt hole on the engine which could be the reason why its hard to turn the engine over & pedal. That's pretty rad of you to notice that, i missed that. I'm honestly thinking is that a women's bike frame is just causing all kinds of problems. such as the angle that the chain has to attach to the rear wheel sprocket which causes it to rub against the bolt hole on the engine. Then there's the location of where the engine is mounted.. which makes it hard for the engine to get fuel. then there's the chain clearance to the frame... the way the frame is built gets in the way of the chain clearance. I'm thinking about buying a men's bike from walmart: 26" Men's Sierra Mountain Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates
do you think if i bought this bike frame, it'd make it easier?