View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
How did you make that? I like it a lot.
The 1" flex tubing is 316 stainless from MCMaster Carr stock # 54945K53. It comes in 5 ft. length increments up to a full coil of 25 ft. A 5 ft length cost me about $40 with shipping. I used 2.5 ft. of it. After cutting the regular exhaust off 2" from the flange you can slide it on. The problem is the inside diameter of the flex is 1" and the outside diameter of the exhaust pipe is around 7/8". I used 1" copper pipe to make a gasket between the two. I cut two 3/4" pieces of the pipe. Then I heat them with a torch till glowing red and quench them in water. This softens the copper so it can be easily bent. Then I cut them lengthwise with sheet metal cutters and wind one spirally around the exhaust pipe to form a gasket. It will have to overlap itself and I had to use a second smaller piece of the copper to make it fit tight. It will not be airtight but it doesn't need to be. Once it is snug tighten it with a hose clamp. Be careful, I damaged a few hose clamps trying to tighten it. It's OK if you can still twist the flex on the pipe a little. The other straps that hold the flex to the frame will keep it in place. The tail pipe is a 1 ft. piece of a 5 ft.stainless curtain rod I got from for $20. Here's a link
Looks like it went up in price. I used another hose clamp to fasten the flex to it. The clamps around the flex and tail pipe are found at the local hardware. The normally look like this but I take the rubber off.

The clamps that attach to the chainstays are vinyl coated P-clamps that look like this.

Put it all together and you end up with one sweet exhaust.
What one man can do, another man can do.