View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Break in secrets

Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Putting an abrasive in your cylinder is ignorant and isn't an old trick to
seat your rings but a myth. Kind of like adding sugar to your gas so your motor can run sweet.
It's great if you have the time to slowly break in your motors but if your like me and only use your motor for racing. Then wd40 is the quickest way.
Can I ask why would you run a 75:1 ratio on a motor that actually has a load on it? I can understand doing it on an airplane motor because it doesn't have a load on it. Lubrication is the most important aspect for prolonging the life of a two stroke moter. Why would you want to deprive a motor of oil? Isn't that like running your car a few quarts low of oil?
A myth? Hardly not. My brother worked as a mechanic at a Massey Ferguson dealer and it was common practice to seat new chrome rings using Bon Ami. In fact it was common at most tractor dealers years ago to help seat the harder rings that were being made. In is common practice for the old gas engine collectors. Not something I would try personaly, but it is hardly a myth. Do a google saearch and you will find many who have done it. Like I said..I wouldn't do it, but it has been done alot over the years with some success by some and failures by others.

I do some racing also, but it is racing airplanes around pylons. We load our airplane engines with propellers(I use a 9X7 APC) A zero load on one of my Jett 50 2 cycle engines turning 18000 rpm would result in critical failure. The right loaded prop and right fule mixture is must! I mix all my own methanol alchohol using a Klotz 80&syn 20% Castor blend in my alchohol burning engines and I mix my 2 cycle gas burning airplanes to the same mix as my bike. I also have alot of experience working on Pre- 1985 Mercury Outboards and I can say with confidence that oils have come a very long way in the last 80 years.

The synthethics offer fantastic lubricating, but alot of them have a lower flash temperature(Point at which it burns) then other dino or an oil like Castor which has a very high flash point and is more forgiving of a lean run, but can really make a mess. It has been my experience over the years that the synthethic oils burn nice and clean and will do a great job, but will not tolerate lean running like something like Castor will. So you should now how to tune an engine before using a synthethic in my opinion. The Opti-2 at 75:1works really well for me, but I would not dare move my c-clip to the top position using because syn's are not near as forgiving in a lean run. Just my own experience and two cents worth.LOL