View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Hello from Michigan

Originally Posted by Harold_B View Post
You'll need to make up your own mind on where your comfort level is on interpreting the law in MI. The SoS office in GR guided me through the process and an inspection was required to get an assembled moped VIN. The max speed is 30mph, pretty sure of that. As far as the scooters go, take a look at the back of the bike as they pass. Just because they look like a scooter doesn't mean it won't have a motorcycle tag. I know this can quickly get into a discussion of the police and how they enforce local law, or what you can get away with because nobody really double checks (for example the 50cc, 2hp max). Each rider in MI needs to investigate the no fault insurance laws regarding mopeds / assembled mopeds and weigh the risk of getting stuck without coverage after an accident because the bike doesn't meet code. Personally I think the Moped requirements are too restrictive but that's just me.
This is sound advice. I know that my registration is good for the cops, but I suspect it would be "iffy" in an accident. Insurance companies are far more evil than any sec. of state or cops. For me, I was fine with that. Not everyone is like me ( probably for good reason )

I have a couple of friends that purposly registered an actual scooter as a motorcycle to avoid any trouble from any end of enforcement.

Last edited by turnofftheradio; 09-20-2012 at 06:45 AM.