View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: MASTER BIKE BUILDER QUESTION: rear wheel (freewheel?)& sprocket ~ flip-over

The threads on the wheel hub are designed to tighten in the direction the torque is applied to it from the freewheel. I mean, on the pedal sprocket side (right side) of the hub the threads tighten in a clockwise direction. If one were to switch the hub around to the left side the threads would loosen in the direction of the torque and with these engines that would be a real bad problem. The hub I have that is designed for the engine sprocket and freewheel and the bicycle freehwheel have threads on the left side that tighten in the counterclockwise direction which is the direction torque is applied from the engine.

I thought about designing a freewheel adapter for the engine sprocket that attaches to the spokes like the stock setup however I ended up buying the hub instead. When I removed the sprocket from my old bike I noticed that the spokes were damaged.

Also when you think about adding a freewheel to the engine sprocket you have to remember that you will no longer be able to pedal start the engine. You have to get a pull start or something.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. - Albert Einstein

I used to say that politics was the second-oldest profession. I have come to know that it bears a gross similarity to the first. - Ronald Reagan

"You do not want to get between Michelle and a tamale." - Barack Obama