View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Talking Re: What got you interested in MB's?

I got into MABs because I love small engines and I love bicycles. Great way to enjoy 2 kinds of technology.

A lot of refinements have been made in mass production and aluminum alloys though, and some new port and chamber designs in small 2 stroke engines have made huge steps forward in fuel efficiency and less oil consumption. Shindaiwa has made some really astonishing steps by making "hybrid" 2 stroke engines. (The exhaust sound is a lot lower pitch than similar displacement 2 strokes, and they mix fuel really well).

Tanaka has refined the 2 stroke engines very well.
Tanaka 2 stroke Pure Fire series, demo video

Shindaiwa engine sound "hybrid 4 stroke" sample (sounds like a Honda Odyssey ATV)

Originally Posted by placidscene View Post
I started out looking at ways to do a e-bike, but I forsaw more problems and lack of longevity/power with batteries. Unless you can spring for the $400 lithium ion ones! I figured gas engines have been around a little over 100 years with little change to the basic tried and true way that they work, so I went with that.
I plan to eventually (in the next 10 years?) build an electric powered tadpole trike. That was my initial idea for a powered bike, but I thought I'd start off with a kit and get some experience with that first.
1" roller Dax Friction Drive and Tanaka 3300 with mods.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 08-13-2012 at 12:42 AM.