View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: You guys are nice, I'm not..

I think that most of those (so-called) stupid newbie questions fall into the category that was mentioned a few posts above; they think that there's some magic bullet type answer and that someone who has it is standing by waiting to give it.

Yes, it's pretty silly. Especially when you consider that merely reading these forums will give the answers we need plus answers to questions that we didn't even know we had.

But even these silly questions serve a rather important purpose; other newbies will read them. (Probably more than the old-timers will, for that matter) A lot of them will just never get it. They'll insist over and over that they can't possibly adjust a caliper brake and they'll wistfully hope for an actual fix by computer. Then they'll drop out.

But some of them will catch fire. They'll become interested. They'll still make mistakes on their first build, but they'll improve on their second build and so on. And then they'll become useful and intelligent companions for the rest of us. And then they'll become old-timers, helping out the newbies.

A similar sort of thing in the real world: Have you ever seen a new motorized bicycle pop up in your neighborhood? Too often I've seen it and thought, 'Hmm, I'll have to talk to him one of these days'. Then I'll see him 2 or 3 times over the next month or two. Then he'll disappear.

I know the explanation for most of these instances. The guy bought a kit and just barely managed to get it together. But he didn't study forums like this one, he didn't make himself learn as much as he could and when something went wrong he was unable to fix it and didn't give it much of a try. Now the bike's sitting in his garage collecting dust.

That's the sort of newbie who asks unnecessary questions and then doesn't bother checking the answers. Or who rejects the answers that he does get.

But at least stuff like that separates the sheep from the goats. And that's okay.