View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Default Re: My new clutch actuator

A logical assumption!

I honestly thought the same thing after I first put my redesigned actuator on the point beach schwinn.

Testing has proven that this is not the case.

I'm 6'2" 235lbs...I rode the point beach shown on my web site like it was a small motorcycle. Stop/start over and over again. Riding slowly up driveways and grass, slipping the clutch and hoping to promote a never happened. My shop is on a dead end street...There are other machine shops, riggers, A/C shops, sign Shops...etc.

Not only myself, but my 2 employees...and many others down our street rode the point beach for a month.

These guys never rode the bike with the factory clutch, I never told them to pedal up before releasing the clutch...they all rode it like a motorcycle. I tried to "break" it before offering it as a product to the public.

Guess what? Inspection after clutch wear! Go figure

You have to realize I didn't care if I smoked the clutch. The Point Beach was a project that came from a good shop customer. He has spent a lot of money with me over the past few years. He said make it right, so I did! If the clutch had failed I would have made him a new didn't fail!

My delayed response was not intended to make you feel like I didn't care about your efforts to help provide a solution to the problem I was having. I have been very busy tihs week making up revised kits. I recieved a lot of phone calls from very good people that bought my kit and had problems...they helped put this to rest.

I've got to say that the Canadians are very understanding, considerate folks. The guys in Canada have telephones and they use them.

I can assure you I have not thrown in the towel...2 weeks ago I made up several hundred kits...this isn't rocket science! I didn't want to double ship parts knowing there was a problem...for those who had a problem they didn't get the "fix" parts, they got a whole new kit...that's how I do business everyday.

I can't sit in front of the computer all day answering emails...I try to do it every morning before I go to the shop...and in the evening when I get home. It doesn't always work out that way.

There is a really neat "old school" thing called a telephone and I will answer that promptly...It's in my pocket all day least I can keep number is prominently dislayed on my web site for a reason!

I really don't understand the question...The entire geometry is different.

I could give you the drawings...If you are a machinist and have access to a CNC mill you could spend 2 days making one, hardly worth the $35.00 savings. You could also take the drawings to a machine shop and have one made at a cost of about $600.00.

You will not be able to "Home brew" this assembly. As I've said in other posts, it is a total re-work of the original design...not just one thing that could easily be cobbled together from the old unit.

If you are just curious, buy one...provided you don't destroy it; I will gladly return your money if you can't figure out how to make it work.

Last edited by Creative Engineering; 10-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.