View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: So I saw this ad on Craigslist...

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Not meant as advise but the building is a big part of the fun and frustration. But the really, well, big part any way is with DIY, you feel or hear some thing off, ya just seem to know when some thing is up and where to look. That's aside from the joy of creating your own functional art. Really is a blast first time she fires off and your cruising down the street!

Cool part about our thing, you can build or buy one then turn around and take her apart and do it completely different. Art is never finished, just abandoned. (LOL, as in next build)

If I were to offer advise it would be to enjoy the build part. Take your time and really enjoy it. My first kit build, I raced with the add that said "can be built in less then 4 hours" LOL, I did it but really, really badly. Now takes me 2 days to do a China girl build and that is if every thing goes smoothly. It never goes smoothly. But that is part of the fun.

Build some thing cool!
Yes! More encouragement to build my own

Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
....Building something yourself can be more gratifying than jumping on someone else's build. And who know's what issues will arise. Was it "Granny" driven? Or ridden like it was stolen and taken over dirt jumps. Was the carb tuned right? Or was it running lean and about to throw a bearing/bushing... It's a roll of the dice I think.

OP, I think the eBay link your looking at is just for the bracket. I think the extended pipe is another $40-50, double check. But I think the stock pipes will fit in those frames, it just doesn't look as good
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I can always get a other extended pipe, I can deal with ugliness for now

Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
You've gotten some good advice here. My two cents input is that I'd say keep it simple and get riding. A cruiser makes a good motorbicycle that is pretty easy to set up and comfortable to ride. While you're enjoying your first motorbike experience give some more thought to that next bike. You can always sell your first one that you learned on. Ride somebodies chopper as a pedal bike to see if it seems to fit you. With a first, pretty simple build under your belt you'll have a better idea of what you want, what's involved and whether or not you have the skill and interest to do a more difficult build. Most of all, have fun and stay safe.
Ermm, I think I'm going to go for the chopper, because like some people said before, it might not be in good condition, also he said the muffler is gone...
Also, I'm not going to be doing many builds, just one. (unless it ends up incredinly crappy)

-Thanks for the input guys

So I messaged two different mount bracket guys on eBay, and they said
"I checked out the links you sent me and yes my mount will work perfectly for your build!"
"if you have a shwinn occ bicycle. and the motor looks like what is in my ad it will work"

IS that chopper on craigslist a schwinn occ? And with that mount, I won't be having much trouble installing while going step by step through installation videos (like the ones on
The best part about asking questions, is that you add to the pool of information that future builders can look back on through the search function

Last edited by Dan; 07-04-2012 at 05:04 PM.