View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: So I saw this ad on Craigslist...

Originally Posted by MysterySandwich View Post
So I saw this ad on craigslist:

And my situation right now is: Don't have a a motorbicycle yet, but I was going to buy a bicycle and get an engine kit.

But now that I saw this ad, what should I do?

1. Buy the beach cruiser that already comes with the motor. [$240]
  • Save money
  • BUT, I may run into trouble because it's not new
  • Wont have as much fun as buying everything else separately

2.Buy the chopper, and buy an engine kit my self. [$80]
  • Will have more fun picking out parts my self
  • Engine kit will be new, lesser chance of problems
  • Will end up spending more money
  • Never ridden a chopper before, might be too low for my comfort?

I think I'm going to go for the chopper and engine kit separately, but I've never ridden a chopper bicycle before and i think I might be uncomfortable on it because of it's height. How tall are choppers compared to a beach cruiser, and to those people who have choppers do you feel uncomfortable being that low?

Thanks for the input!

~EDIT: Okay, so I just found out that it's hard to put one of these engine kits on a chopper... how hard is it? IS there an aftermarket mount for choppers? I saw this on eBay, but I'm not sure...
i happen to have two choppers in my garage right now, though the lower ride is a little strange to get use to its not that bad. the issue comes with the mounting of the motor, note that the rear tire on the chopper is much wider than that of a regular bicycle, so it requires a special mounting bracket. also note that the chopper stye bicycle does not have a v frame like the normal bicycle and the rear tire is a deep dish on the spokes so mounting the sprocket to it also becomes a little tricky. once the engine is mounted and you are actually riding the pedal assist it is rather comfy and easy to control, but if you are six foot tall or taller you'll definitely want a different handle bar set up to save your knees a constant beating, consider something like ape hangers. oh and before i forgett the chain tightner is a ***** to install on the chopper as well, so you may be better off buying the mounting kit...hope this helps