View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I had a lovely cruise tonight, despite the heat. And some people really seem to enjoy seeing this ol' bike of mine. And I feel less nervous with my new blazing bright brake light.

PS: That said, just when I thought I'd seen everything...or, in this case, the last of everything:

Tonight, as I pulled up to my shed after the ride, I felt as though one of the seat bolts might be getting a bit loose. Not the ones that hold it to the post, the ones that hold the springs or the nose to the seat. I checked it out inside. The nose bolt was coming loose! So I unbolt and pull off the seat to have more room. The nut falls off and hides. "No problem" I tell myself. I get out my big box-o-nuts & bolts. I try a few standard size nuts. No go. I try a few metrics. No wait a minute! Would you believe my classic, British made, leather saddle has those Mudder F-ing Whitworth bolts holding the springs on!!!
So I did what must be done: crawled around on my shed floor with a flashlight in my mouth and a magnet in my free hand looking for that BSW nut. (BSW = British Standard Whitworth, AKA Bull $h!t Worthless) Found it. Put it back on. Considered locktight after the fact. Hit forehead. Went inside.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 06-30-2012 at 11:13 PM.