View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Gutter Rider
Default Re: Regular with up to 10% booze-a-haul, or high octane w/out?

I work in a small engine shop and the fuel here does it's toll a bit on the rubber cut out diaphragms in the Chinese petcocks. Wind up putting diaphragm kits in carburetors and needle valve kits for the floats that utilize a rubber tip on the needles seat. It is not the end of the world but one can access it does dry out and harden the hoses as well.

I have seen first hand the pit marks in a float bowl. Not worried about it much as that takes a very long time to do and has not compromised anything. Occasionally there is a mystery carb that will not tune? Not going to say that is a coincidence tho as a cheep carb is a cheep carb.

My currant two stroke engines are of high compression ran at a high altitude. The manufacture specs call for a tad higher octane. So at 100 plus miles to the gallon been using higher grade pump fuel. Tried racing gas once ''high octane blue colored'' and liked it in this engine.Have not actually used regular in quite awhile so could not really say the difference here. If I was using a H.T. and never modded the compression it would be regular low octane grade, but I don't use those engines anymore..

As for our lawn mowers weed whackers etc plain ol regular grade here works just fine.
Still gotta have a since of humor.