Thread: Bite the bullet
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Bite the bullet

1. I have some parts that I have no idea what in the world they are. Could the collective help me identify them? (I know: the chain tensioner, the sprocket cover, the CDI, and the fuel tube. The other stuff I have no clue: The copper piece with a screw, the circular metal tube with 4 holes,the springs, and the plate with 3 hole and a bolt in it.)
the copper piece with a screw is for your clutch cable, it's a cable stop. holds the clutch cable tight in the clutch arm
the circular metal tube with 4 holes is for removing the spark-plug
the plate with 3 hole and a bolt in it is called a 'large frame adapter' and requires drilling a hole in the frame of your bike to mount the motor. I would NEVER drill a hole in a bike frame as there are other better ways to mount the motor in a large frame bike.

The chain, I would assume that the nut holding the sprocket on the motor would have to be removed for the chain to be successfully added on, and I need to buy a chain break to re-size the chain
there are a couple ways to get the chain in, I remove the cover on the magneto and use a socket wrench on that bolt to turn the motor and feed the chain through. Yes you will need to break the chain to get it to the proper size.

Before starting the motor for the first time should I take out the spark plug and and put some oil in there or would that be excessive with the oil already in the gas?
I've not heard of anyone doing that and didn't do it myself. I think it'll be fine without the extra oil there.

Anyone like to come and drink a few beers while giving good advice?
sorry I'm in Memphis TN and prefer my bud in a bowl not a bottle ;-)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson