Thread: Stressed out
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Stressed out

Originally Posted by j3000 View Post
The first thing Iam going to do when I get my engine is tear everything apart so I can get familar with every part.
Well, be careful if you don't already have good mechanical skills and basic knowledge of how motors work. It is commonly advised to pull a new motor apart and inspect it before you build, but that kinda assumes you know a thing or two about working on engines or at least have some basic mechanical aptitude... The bottom end on a new motor can be very tight and hard to split, and there is a high likelihood that you will screw something up in your attempt IMHO. The top end comes apart much easier, and most of what you really need to inspect is up there anyways, so you might want to do the top and leave the bottom alone for now. Still, on the top end, the head and cylinder come off easy enough, but when you put the cylinder back on you have to compress the rings properly, they are kinda fragile and some people have a hard time getting the cylinder back on without breaking the rings. It's really not that tough, but for someone with limited mechanical aptitude.... If you do, just read up and pay attention to what you are doing... Also, keep in mind the motor is aluminum, and the bolts can't be torqued too tight before you strip the threads out of the aluminum. My arm is pretty strong and I have a tendency to torque things up really good, too good, so I got myself a mini click style torque wrench that keeps me in check. Also, when you assemble make sure you use blue loctite on your bolts, since you can't torque the he!! out of them the vibrations from the motor tend to make nuts work loose, blue loctite will keep them in place at the proper torque, and is removable when you need to. If you go as far as pulling the studs from the block and cylinder you can use red loctite on the studs when you reinstall them. The red loctite is the permanent type and is stronger than the blue, this way the studs are held in place better than the nuts so you can get them off when needed.... (red loctite needs to be heated with a torch to remove)
Below is a picture of the style of wrench I was referring to, not the exact wrench I have but same deal. I highly recommend you get yourself one so you have an idea how much torque you are putting on things. It's not much larger than a standard socket wrench, you dial the desired torque on the handle and the head "clicks" when you reach that torque so you know when to stop. Make sure it reads in inch-pounds...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_4_DR_MINI_TORQUE_WRENCH.jpg (14.7 KB, 20 views)