View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Old dog learns new trick...Welding!

The kit has three parts.

First is a wash to remove residues of any kind that might be inside the tank. In my case about all that would be inside the tank to get rid of would be oils from handling the metal and flux form the attempt to solder it up. While this solution (mixed one to one with hot water) is inside the tank you have to rotate and make sure that all surfaces keep wet with this cleaner. If this were an old gas tank with rust inside one might put nuts inside to help knock flaking rust loose. Then you pour it out. With a rusty tank you might need to repeat this until what you pour out is clean. In my situation once was enough. It gets rinsed thoroughly. Then it has to be dried. I used a hair dryer to blow air inside the tank to speed up the drying time. After holding it by hand for awhile, I realized I could position it so that the dryer could do it's stuff without me holding it.

Second is an acid etch to prep the metal and further remove rust. You have to stay with this turning and rotating the tank for at least a half hour and better yet an hour. Tedious, but if it works then it is time sell spent trying to do it right. Rinse thoroughly with water and they emphasize that the tank must be absolutely dry or the sealer will not bond properly.

Third is the actual sealer. You mix it up with a mixing stick provided, wear rubber gloves to protect your hands and pour in the whole contents of the little can. They say that once it has come into contact with oxygen you can not pour back what you didn't use and save it, so pour it all in. I did and was religious about rotating it and making sure that the coating got into every nook and cranny. You do this up to a half hour and then pour it out.

The instructions say that you can also paint the excess you poured out onto the weld seams from the outside. I figured it can't be saved anyway so what the heck. I removed my duct tape and painted the seams... then repainted the seams and then decided to just paint the whole outside and keep doing the seams until the stuff hardened up. So, this may be a little unorthodox, but what's to lose?

Today I sanded down the drips and runs, more or less smoothing it out. Not shown is the coating of Bondo auto body epoxy now drying on all four sides of the tank. I did one coat and when dried I sanded it down and applied another coat to help fill in where I missed the first time around. This will get sanded down, too and I'll keep filling until I have a nice surface ready for paint.

If I were a good welder I wouldn't need to use a tank sealer, but I'm a newbie and thankful that a good sealer is available. This stuff dries very hard and smooth like ceramic. It should be good; the kit cost $48.00 with shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05321.JPG (249.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05326.JPG (261.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05328.JPG (218.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05329.JPG (214.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05331.JPG (248.4 KB, 29 views)
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...