View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Originally Posted by xenodius View Post
Sounds complicated but classy! :-) I think if you used a cable it'd be pretty easy, because the choke doesn't have any resistance. It wouldn't have to be held by much.
Yeah, I though about using a cable. But then I would have to develop a mount that would keep the cable sheath stationary whilst the cable moves in it. A simple lever that moves a steel rod up and down, the other end of which is connected to the carburettor's choke lever, is easy for me to make and looks more vintage (in keeping with the overall mid-teens styling of my bike.

Talking of which: I located the shiny brass guts of an old metronome in my junk bin. (Alright, ONE OF my junk bins.) Where the pendulum came up through the escapement body is formed like a small quadrant. A large part of my work is precisely done for me. I am on to designing a lever that will work. "Re-purposing" saves the day again! Now I don't need to whittle and hack with file and jeweler's saw to form a decent looking quadrant to hold the lever.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 06-07-2012 at 11:24 PM.