View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Old dog learns new trick...Welding!

Well, it's been awhile. I am now back in Minnesota, everything is unpacked and I have created a good work space to do bike stuff. I've been ready for several days to get at this gas tank, but it has been rainy, I work outside and have had to wait. Today's the day.

I have been at it for the better part of the day and thought I would see how many leaks there are. I mixed up some soapy water, ran the compressor, dribbled soapy water on a couple of edges, shot a bit of air into the tank (don't want to overdo it) and felt like the bubble boy. Boy, what a lot of bubbles. And to think I had this naive thought that maybe there weren't any leaks. Dan didn't have to use a sealer on his gas tank and it was his first one.

Well, this old fart is using tank sealer. I have several questions...
First, what is a good tank sealer that will hold up to the new ethanol blends? Is there one which is reasonably priced, meaning pretty cheap? I only need enough to do one gas tank, so if someone wants to sell the remains of your sealer kit shoot me a PM.

While I'm waiting to purchase a sealant can I go ahead and do a little body work on the edges with bondo and then paint it before doing the tank sealer or is this not a good idea?

I'm anxious to get this tank on the bike and use it. Still am very happy with it and deeply grateful to Dan the Tinsmith for all his help. I have learned so much about welding through this project. One of the things I learned is that I still have a lot to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05286.JPG (246.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05287.JPG (238.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05288.JPG (226.9 KB, 39 views)
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...