View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Motorized Bike BOAT

Your core ideas are golden. Now that you know it will work you can make refinements. I was just thinking about a kind of cradle to hold the buckets together in alignment, like out of PCV pipe or 2X2's... or if you could find it left over from a construction site the really big sized pcv pipe. I've seen it in what looks like sewer size. Capped at each end you have your flotation pontoons. Off of a rear cross-member joining each side of the flotation devices you could rig a simple rudder controlled from where you sit.

And I'm thinking that your idea of metal fitted between the spokes to act as paddles is a good one. If the paddles were aluminum and fixed to the spokes (could even be with zip ties) they could be of a larger size and really grab some water.

If the exhaust pipe exited under water like an outboard motor does then it would be pretty quiet I would think.

Great, now I have another danged project floating around in my head to think about in the middle of the night instead of sleeping. I live next to a lake. I can just see the neighbors scratching their heads at old Silverbear and Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog (behind in a floating trailer). And I don't think the DNR would want to deal with it. "Is it a bike or a boat? Does the old fart need to wear a helmet or a life jacket or both? Let's pretend we didn't see it!"

You sir, are contributing to the delinquency of a geezer...
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...