View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Straight Bar for first build

I hear you on your concerns. I made the mistake of agreeing to build a 49 Panther for a friend who just had to have a bike like my 50. I found him a frame on ebay, won the auction, ordered all the parts, painted the frame, installed the 4 stroke engine. He had to have everything first class and complained the whole time at how much it was costing him for Worksman wheels, etc.. I charged very little for my labor because he was my friend and I thought I'd finally have somebody local to go riding with.

Big mistake. He ran the bike full throttle from day one, did not do any routine maintenance that I could see and several times I had the bike back again fixing this or that. Seemed like my own bike never had problems with the same engine and transmission, but his was different.

I saw him recently and he wondered if I could sell his bike for him. I didn't give him a flat no, but should have. I'm going to suggest he sell it on ebay himself, or advertise in the local paper and craigslist.

Be careful building for a relative or friend. I sold another 4 stroke Vintage Schwinn, this time on ebay and once delivered to the buyer I never heard from him again. That's the way to do it.

And yes, one build can easily turn into a second and a third. I think that's harmless enough if it gives a lot of pleasure. It gives me something to do and think about, a creative outlet and problems to solve. It has also given me this forum and a number of friends here. I don't smoke, drink, gamble, have a girlfriend or expensive tastes. I do blow money on bike stuff. Compared to building cars, it is cheap. I think it's good, healthy fun. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's great being twelve again, at least when I'm riding me motorbike. Woohoo!
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...