View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Talking Re: Is This the Fountain of Youth?

I've had 2 amazing things happen this last week. One is that a neighbor 2 blocks over went sailing by on a gas bike he got from King Bikes in Van Nuys, CA. He stopped at a friends house and we talked for quite a while. He said that the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) has banned 2 cycles in California. They are trying to attack 4 strokes bike motors because they are not good on smog results. Smaller engines are not very efficient burners. I said somewhere else t hat is why the famous 3 HP Briggs & Stratton is no more, now you see 6.5 HP and the like. A little larger cylinder and you can make it burn cleaner. Longer stroke = more complete burn and all that rot. So now we have a dilema. The law says it's not a bike anymore over 50cc's (or something like that) and CARB wants larger motors that can "pass smog". Bike groups will have to start trying to get the law changed or there will be a problem just around the corner. Just remember all you non Californian's, where California goes with smog laws, so goes the Feds 3 or 4 years later... This is going to be a 50 state problem by 2015-2020.

He also said that if you can, in California, go for electric because the cops have no jurisdiction over them like the gas. EPA & CARB already have their hooks into small gas motors like lawn mowers and weed eaters. I know that this is a gas community, but it is what it is. Oh don't worry, I'm finishing my weed eater bike haha.

I see by King's website they also do electric, gasbike*net, which brings me to the other kewl thing that happened. My neighbor and life long friend cleaned out his garage and came up with 2 electric bikes that he had promised me for 4 years now. I forgot all about it until he called me yesterday and said "If you don't come get these bikes before sundown, they're going to the curb"!

"E-Bike" - Back in 2000 he got these from a car dealership. They are from a company called EV Global Motors, founded by none other than Lee Iaccoca. The company only lasted 5 or 6 years and are way out of production. That's okay, I have a complete bike and a part bike lol. They were billed as the Cadillac of EV bikes. I have found where they cheaped them out with the Taiwan builder (because I'm just a pain that way lol) but all in all not a bad bike.

Corey had pretty much trashed one from taking it into the bush when he lived in Oregon. His use was a combination downhill/BMX lol. I put one bike together out of the two and it seems to ride pretty much like any 10-speed. No resistance or drag. lol. For now, all it needs is new tires and 2 batteries I've priced at $43-46 ea. at a few stores around town.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
See a pic here <--- that's a link
Here's hte stats...

FRAME: Sturdy Chromoly steel frame
BODY: ABS Plastic
WHEELS: 26" x 1.95" double wall aluminum alloy rims; stainless steel spokes
BRAKES: V-Brakes: front and rear
FRONT SUSPENSION: "Zokes" adjustable front suspension
MOTOR: Heinsmann 24V/400-watt DC Brushed Electric Hub Motor
GEARS: 7-speed Shimano derailleur; front chain ring; 14-28 rear cluster; Front chain ring - 33T; Rear cluster: 14-28 T
SHIFTER: SRAM "Twist Grip"
E-BIKE WEIGHT: 67 lbs. (includes 23 pound battery power pack)
POWER PACK: Weight: 23 lbs. (includes batteries and charger); Dimensions: 15" x 4" x 4" with charger
BATTERY: 2-12V/12AH volt sealed, lead acid, deep discharge (charge time 4.0 hours)
BATTERY LIFE: 350 cycles (approximately 7,000 miles); Amp hour rating = 12
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I will probably take a beach cruiser and fit the left over parts onto it for my new Garage Inventor friend Josh lol. I will need a controller and a few parts, but the second hub and electronics are there. I can make my own battery box and charge the cells in parallel until I can afford a 24 volt charger. I have a pretty hefty 12V RV maintainer that will suffice for now.