View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Completely New to This

looks like the bike you picked has good brakes so I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Rain and icy weather may cause some slippage with the friction drive, I do know that Duane claims is will still work pretty good even when wet if the pressure between the tire and drive roller are correct, so that may not be a huge issue for you but I can't say for sure being I'm not running one of his FD kits at the present time.

I ride my motorized bikes, I ride a 150cc China scooter and I ride a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim all the time and I carry my junk in a good back pack on my back, as a matter of fact I made a 25 mile round trip today to a close by small town to do some shopping and I hauled everything I bought back home on my back in my pack probably 10+ pounds of stuff and I can hardly tell it's there.

In rainy weather I'd wear a rain suit and id wrap my pack in a trash bag or some other rain proof cover, you may even be able to get a rain proof pack....that would be great as well.

Hope this helps, Map

Originally Posted by A Future Pilot View Post
Thank you SO much for the advice!!

And much as I'd LOVE a 2 stroke (for looks and speed and everything else ) I should probably go with the 4 stroke.

So I'm looking at thatsdax...I need the motor and the friction drive kit right?

A few questions about that setup:
I'm assuming I still should upgrade the brakes and remove the fenders?

Will the friction drive work fine in the rain and snow and such?

Because I'm a college student I'm going to be needing to bring my books to school. Although I might COULD just put the backpack on my back, Is there anyway to get some type of waterproof (or close to it) enclosure somewhere on the bike to hold stuff when it rains?

Thanks again for all y'alls help!
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!