View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: How fast how much weight etc etc

Originally Posted by the13bats View Post
Thanks all...yes, the Predator 99 it sounds like a winner, what do you believe the HP rating to be?

So why do you need the Q-matic?

I have been building recumbents for over 20 years, my favorites are tadpole trikes, but I have been getting into the 4 wheel bikes,
I bought this one the other day that looks a lot like the old Briggs and stratton 5 wheeler,
the 5th drive wheel is like a trailer in back, it had an engine in the side, I want to do something like that seems the predator 99 would be a hot ticket,

I have to wonder how heavy the B&S design was, I am guessing the engine and drive parts would be more than the new predator 99,

My plan was to use the rear swing arm from a discarded mountain bike, it will give me a nice looking frame, and pivot,
But I planned to just use a clutch on the engine to a large sprocket on the side of the wheel, I know from my go kart and mini bike days that is good from take off to...??? well, faster than I want to go on this thing,

Which brings me back to why the extra Q-matic thing?

well for starters how big are the tires on a minibike or gokart?

its all about overall GEARRATIO you try and run small minibike sprockets what you gonna get is a fried clutch

type in the search bar ,, Qmatic lots of builds here use a qmatic

you can have pulling power or speed you can not have both... unless you run something that can change your gearratio on the fly
Live life as its your last day... it just may be
Learn to do it right or how to fix it later, quicker to do it right the first time.

Last edited by Ibedayank; 05-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.