View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Lightbulb Re: Gas Tank Caps, , , , Hmmmmmm

Holy smokes, you are not kidding! I thought I was going to die in a fireball the one day I filled my happytime up to capacity! I got back on the street and took off, no problem. At about 20mph and speeding up, fuel started SPRAYING all over my chest and face! I killed the motor and pulled over to a yard, ready to stop drop and roll, but nothing happened, so I just hosed off before it started chemically burning me up.

I suppose you can dry out your cap, solder fill the vent hole, and dry out your tank (seriously! don't play) and drill for a grommet and weedeater line, and run that line just barely inside the tank, and down to the bottom of the frame. Else you can make it 1" -3" long and add a check-ball vent cap to it from mower shop. That should do it!
PS you will still not be able to fill it 100%.

It's possible you could modify the cap, but it would probably be more sure thing to seal it and vent the tank. The cap has a spring and stuff in it, not sure how hard it would be to drill through.
KTM gas tank cap vent dirtbike

Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Nope. They're crap.

Never ever fill it up so far that the gas touches the bottom of the cap or it won't just leak, it will gush.
1" roller Dax Friction Drive and Tanaka 3300 with mods.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 04-22-2012 at 10:49 PM.