212 build

GoldenMotor.com

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Had plates welded in place. I fit motor and will dressed the installation some.
It feels strong and solid. One pedal fits and the other needs 2" cut off or moved out?!
Going to try to just get it running today just to see vibrations.

When parts arrive I'll start jack shaft project.

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Awesome work!

What are your sprockets going to be, drive and driven?

Can we get a look at your jackshaft?

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Awesome work!

What are your sprockets going to be, drive and driven?

Can we get a look at your jackshaft?
Thanks 5-7HEAVEN. Don't have any parts for jackshaft yet. It's only purpose is to move the chain over 1 1/2" to align with rear. I'll need to fab a tube with bearings and a sprocket to mount behind the engine on the downtube somehow. Gonna start with a 10-48 for sprockets as I know the torque converter will start low and gear up a lot. Want to keep the revs low.

Today I re-welded the muffler and pipe, hooked throttle with gov., got it running and observed the torque converter. It seems to go all in even with the governor still in use. Sounds like a torque monster. Took a video with my phone, but don't know how to upload on this sight.

It starts so easy compared to the 2 strokes.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I'm not real sure but I think that without any jackshaft reduction, you will need a sprocket nearly as big as the rim to get usable high end cvt gearing. Better do the math and be sure.

Awesome work! Looks very strong.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks 5-7HEAVEN. Don't have any parts for jackshaft yet. It's only purpose is to move the chain over 1 1/2" to align with rear. I'll need to fab a tube with bearings and a sprocket to mount behind the engine on the downtube somehow. Gonna start with a 10-48 for sprockets as I know the torque converter will start low and gear up a lot. Want to keep the revs low.

Today I re-welded the muffler and pipe, hooked throttle with gov., got it running and observed the torque converter. It seems to go all in even with the governor still in use. Sounds like a torque monster. Took a video with my phone, but don't know how to upload on this sight.

It starts so easy compared to the 2 strokes.
Wow! You've got a LOT of room to work with.

Check out scotto's 212 build. He extended his Torq-Verter's driven shaft for his first jackshaft. Then he added a second jackshaft to lower his gearing to acceptable level.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
in my opinion you should get a different frame for this build the preditor is going to snap that thing like a twig.duh.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Worked on fabbing the jackshaft and mounting it. Notched the tubing to fit the downtube. Opened the hole to accept the bearings. fitted the clamps in the frame. Cut hole in rear cover for sprockets. Drilled, tapped shaft for retaining bolt. Installed on bike. linked on chain and added a roller bearing chain tensioner through rear cover. Bent and welded the left pedal crank to fit. So far everything works. now to get the rear sprocket mounted.

Attachments

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
The smaller sprocket was adapted to the wheel (disc brake) mount. I'm going to just drill & bolt the one I'm using (#40) to it then back on the wheel. With it on the chain will hit 2 points on the frame. I'm using the chain tension-er to clear the bottom one and will weld in a section to clear the top one.

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The smaller sprocket was adapted to the wheel (disc brake) mount. I'm going to just drill & bolt the one I'm using (#40) to it then back on the wheel. With it on the chain will hit 2 points on the frame. I'm using the chain tension-er to clear the bottom one and will weld in a section to clear the top one.
I guess you tried moving the jackshaft sprocket around, yes?

This is REALLY coming around quickly!dance1

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Tonight I installed the chain tensioner and took a ride. Wow what smooth power!
Even with the gov. hooked up it's a grand powerful ride. The engine's wide and the exhaust pipe's hot, but a great ride, and nothing bent or broken.
With gov., it prolly does 30-35 mph. that's a 10-48 and torque conv. I have a 14t sprocket to try. Easier speed. Goodby 2 strokes!

Attachments

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
did you crush your frame to gain chain clearance??? ouch!!!
Yes I heated it and crushed it for clearance for now. (I know that's terrible)
I want to work out all the changes first then take it apart, clean it, then finish it. Sometimes I get a little junkyard.
I'll weld in a new section.

I saw yours and it looks perfect like a full custom build. Awesome!

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Made some exhaust shields from aluminum to hold down the heat under left leg. They work well. Installed the trans cover. Had to make tabs to mount it. Changed sprocket from 10 to 14 to rear. I still have gov. in use so it cruises better now at lower rpm. The old china chain tensioner stripped. so I added roller bearings and a new bolt.
Going to run it more to work out bugs then finish it.
May not be pretty, but sure rides nice.

Attachments

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
a build is never done as you will always find something that you can make better or look nicer. That said from where I? sit theres not much left but some polishing and paint left to do.

Paint what other people then me use