View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: DIY tank... even if you can't weld

Originally Posted by BarelyAWake View Post
NP man No they're not standard, to use the SBP freewheel bearing, you'll need at least the right side pedal crank as it's threaded to take the bearing (pic above) and the sprockets are mounted to the bearing & not the arm, you'll need those too. As ya might as well get both arms so they match... this leaves just the spindle, which may or may not be wide enough for your build, but they're easy & cheap to replace.

The one that comes with the kit is a cartridge type & it's 131.5mm, which worked fine for the Rollfast if that's any help & it's only like $17, but you'll need a splined bottom bracket cartridge tool for installation, but that's only another 10 bucks if you don't have one.

With the miles, muck & filth I encounter, I do prefer cartridge types over cup & loose bearings as they're sealed & maintenance free, but that is ofc yer call (they do take different BB adapters tho BTW)
I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it this summer. I'll have to look through my box of stuff from Cannonball2 to remind myself of what's there and what isn't. I have donor bikes I can look through and can always order what I need from SBP. Thanks, no doubt I'll be back with questions when the time comes.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...