View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Ouch. Sucks for him...

Can anyone say, "moron?"

Even he says:

That is when you will decide to do a little internet research that a smart person would have done before beginning this project. On the internet you will discover that there are a multitude of design problems with these bike engines that you are going to have to fix yourself if you wish to have a working motorized bicycle.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 11 or 12, so I know a little about them too after nearly 40 years riding.

I always switch the brake cables on bicycles. The front brake is on the right, just like a motorcycle. I do that because I always grab for the front brake with my right hand. Why couldn't he switch his?
I have always switched them on my kid's bikes too. When they asked why I did that, I told them that they may want to ride a motorcycle some day, so they need to be in the habit of using the front brake properly.

He also stated:

The average motorist will not see the motor attached to your bicycle while you are riding in a straight line directly towards the motorist on a side street. The motorist will simply see a person on a bicycle and therefore believe he or she has plenty of time to pull out into traffic in front of you and that there is no possible way you could cover the distance from where you currently are and where the motorist is. What the motorist doesn't understand is that you are traveling at 20 to 30 miles an hour and not 5 or 10 miles per hour. Therefore the motorist will simply pull out in front of you and you will not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting the car that is now directly in front of you. One of your options will be to swerve off the road into an area where you can't safely steer and have a serious accident while the motorist continues on unharmed and unaware of your injuries or even your death.

Anyone riding a motorcycle for any length of time learns that cagers just don't see you, and bicycles, motorized or not, are even harder for idiots to look for.

I'm glad that he didn't get back on it. He may have ended up being another statistic against our freedom to ride these things. We are all responsible for our own safety, whether riding a motorized bike, or walking across the street.
You can get killed doing either one.